Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What Inspires Me....


Historical Costume in Movies and Books:
 






















My friends and family always pick up interesting historical fashion books for me, they're so sweet.

I love cityscapes and interesting/old buildings:












































I tend to buy fabric and then ask myself what it should be:
























For example, these fabrics make me want to make sundresses real bad.
And I tend to make outfits for specific occasions- for example, I made a sixties-inspired cocktail dress to go see Michael Buble, I'll make a dress just for the holiday season....
I also get inspired to create garments for me, a plus size, based off what I see in misses' sizes and reworked to be more flattering.

When I work with specific clients for custom work I think it's more a matter of problem solving, per se rather than inspiration. I mean yeah, I'm inspired by the client and what they say they want but also I have to figure out how to give them what they want in a way that flatters them and their figure but also looks good to me- looks like something I'd make. So it's more like....discovering something hanging in the ether rather than being inspired to create something completely out of my head.




No comments:

Post a Comment